More Trouble Signs from Beth Moore

I know I will draw ire for pointing this out, but here it goes anyway… It seems as though Beth Moore has recently been promoting the book, “Jesus Calling” on one of her websites.  To me, this is yet one more reason I strongly recommend avoiding all Beth Moore material.  Reading the description of the book, it quite plainly tells us the author received messages and teachings directly from God, wrote them down, and then published them.  This claim, if it were true, would  mean that “Jesus Calling” is on equal footing with the Bible.  This is a dangerous and heretical claim!  The fact that the author’s claim doesn’t seem to bother Beth one bit makes me (once again) seriously question her discernment and doctrine.  So again I find myself in the awkward position of recommending you the blog reader to avoid the material of America’s evangelical sweetheart, Beth Moore.  Where there is smoke, there is fire, folks.  I know I will draw hostile remarks for saying it, but it must be said…  There is a LOT of smoke around Beth Moore!

Other Beth Moore related posts are linked below:

Beth Moore… does she teach the Word?

Beth Moore’s Blurry Hindsight

, ,

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

24 Comments on “More Trouble Signs from Beth Moore”

1. Tamsyn Says:

Hi Joe,
    Now I am coming from a place where I am purely trying to understand your POV and explain mine, so I hope no offence will be taken.
    I believe that you may be being slightly legalistic when defining the word “heard”. When I applied to university and was waiting to “hear” back from them, I was expecting a letter or email and not something I could explicitly and audibly hear. I think maybe too much stock is being placed on that word alone and because of division over that word, the entire point of the message may be missed.
    While I agree that there are now many who claim sole communication with God on weird levels and deem their word akin to His, I don’t believe this is the case here. If simply writing down what you hear from God is now heretical, then we should all stop writing journals and bible study notes. You also say that you believe God can speak to people but that it isn’t normative…yes, it may not be something everybody experiences, but just because not everyone experiences God’s audible voice, does it mean those who do should be discounted from sharing it with others? Sharing what you have heard from God does not mean you are claiming it is on even standing with the scriptures. There are many instances when people were spoken to directly by God and/or angels…this proves that God can and does do it. Sharing our experiences – our testimonies, which we are biblically told to do – does not assume you place your experiences on equal standing with the bible.
    Just as you feel it your duty to alert others to your discoveries, so others do the same. I absolutely believe it is important to be careful of what we read and to test it against His word. But I also believe that you need to be careful of making assumptions. What are logical implications to you, are not necessarily law. Claiming to have heard directly from God is most definitely NOT automatically stating that you place your experience on the same standing as the scripture.
    God bless!

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hi Tamsyn,
      Sorry for the delayed reply (the plate has been quite full lately). In response to your comment, let me first say THANK YOU for the tone, the well thought-out concerns and the courtesy. Seriously – THANKS! It is incredibly rare these days to have an online discussion where civility and respect is maintained and you have no idea how much it’s appreciated.
      In response to your content, I would make one small initial defense. I firmly deny my view of Beth Moore’s is “legalistic”. If I understand your position, you are actually saying I’m being overly literalistic regarding her figures of speech. I think that’s what you meant so I will address the rest of my reply under the assumption that you feel I’m taking her speech far too literal (please correct me if i’m wrong on this). That being said, I will concede that you may have a point. In today’s modern use of the word I too have “heard” from God as He has led me in one direction or another more than once, although it was in no way an audible voice but rather an internal guiding. However, I don’t know that it matters that much. Why? Because whether an audible voice or an internal direction through the Spirit, I hold that the Christian absolutely MUST NOT teach out of private revelation in the same manner they preach out of the Word of God. As soon as somebody says “God said…” it raises the rest of the message to the same level as Scripture. Afetr all, if God really said it, then He said it, right? It matters not whether it’s in the Bible or not – if He said it, He said it, and the message must be taken with the full weight of His authority. Reading commentaries, writing notes or journals or any other such activities are in a completely different class. Commentaries are teaching aids about the written Word and in no way elevate themselves to the same level. Likewise journals and notes are personal commentaries for future use about life and the Word and in no way elevate themselves. Even sharing experiences with others is simply sharing, not elevating. But when a teacher stands up and says “Thus saith the Lord…” they have elevated their personal revelation to that of Scripture as they are using it to teach doctrine and practice. I know we will probably end up agreeing to disagree on this, but I would strongly urge you to carefully (and prayerfully) consider who you accept as a teacher. You KNOW God’s Word is inspired truth and without error, right? Since it contains EVERYTHING need for teaching, reproof, doctrine and correction, why accept teachings from outside when you really can’t tell if they’re genuine or not? Relying on a “if it feels right” gauge is often the test for many, and that path invariably leads into dangerous terrain.
      Again, thank you so much for the tone of your comment and taking the time to write. I truly hope you find no offense in my rebuttal (and if you do I apologize in advance). It just truly scares me how accepted the practice of preachinig from personal experience has become. It’s really something that has only caught on main-stream in the last 75 years or so, and I think the Christian Church was much better, and safer, without it. Just consider some of the experiences Martin Luther, Zwingli, Calvin and the Puritans had and yet they never preached from them, instead their experiences fueled them to dig in deeper to the Word of God so as to preach that more fervently – and it changed everything.

– Joe

2. Crystal Says:

Thanks. I’ve done several of Mrs. Moore’s studies in the last few years, and at first, loved her. I still think (as much as you can think of someone who you’ve never met) she’s likely a nice lady, and seems to really believe what she’s saying. I don’t enjoy her as I used to, but I do enjoy reading the word more than I used to. We should be paying attention to who we allow to guide our thinking and what we allow into our hearts. For a while now I’ve been concerned about some of the things she says, and after some research, I’m sad to see that so many people seem so emotionally involved with a leader that they defend even their mistakes. I don’t think you (or the other posts I’ve read) intended to insult her, only to remind others to dig into the word for themselves and not be spiritual lemmings. Thank you for your insight, and for the reminder to keep in focus what we believe and why we believe it. May we all stay humbled and focused on truth, not hearsay, and Christ, not a human. Any of the great teachers, preachers, authors, or other leaders in the faith are just human. They are fallible, just like the rest of us. Therefore we have to be careful how much we believe of what others say! Thank you for that reminder.

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hi Crystal! I have actually been studying some more Beth Moore material lately, and I am increasingly convinced of these things:

– She is a sincere, likeable and genuine person. I have no reason at all to suspect her of intentionally trying to mislead anyone.

– She endorses books, products, methods and teachers with very little research or study to see if they line up with the Word of God.

– She doesn’t know how to read the Bible (I am sure this statement will offend many). She often takes clear historical accounts or doctrinal teachings, and turns them into an allegory about modern day Christian life, often minimizing or ignoring their plainly written meaning.

– She takes her spritual experiences as being absolutely, positively from God, and then teaches others from them. She never seems to ask herself “What if these experiences are false or contradict Scripture”. She simply takes note of them, and quickly begins to teach from them.

I am really glad that she has encouraged you and countless others to read Scripture for themselves. I just wish she would take more care when she does it for herself and her ministry. A good course in Hermaneutics and perhaps Systematic Theology would do wonders for this well-intentioned lady. Her followers seem to fall into great anger at any criticism leveled her way. It’s too bad they don’t look into the critiques and ask themselves if they have any merit. Perhaps some of them will, and maybe even she herself might give the critics some thought. I would be overjoyed to see Beth Moore repent of her study and teaching methods and conform herself to Biblical standards.

Thanks for stopping by!!

-Joe

3. Rich Says:

Read the bible??? What a concept. Just pick up a bible and read it???
    Before I go get a bible to read, I should probably get some books from various authors to see which one would be the best translation……….;-)……..O wait, which authors can I trust???
    We spend so much time reading what others feel God is saying (and much of that is wonderful teaching) however, how ofter do we read those books with God’s word by our side to “See if those things were so”?

LORD bless

• The Master's Slave Says:

We put far too much stock in what others say rather than going to the source. Beth Moore, Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar, Todd Bentley…the list goes on who supposedly “hear from God”. Just read the scripture and wait for the Holy Spirit to lead. We are slaves of Christ, right? Then act like a slave and don’t allow another so-called slave tell you that the Master wants you to do thus and so. Get it from His mouth first.

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hey Rich,
      Thanks for stopping by the site. The thing that really puzzles me is that so many authors and speakers say “this is what God is saying…” but then they go on to insist that they aren’t trying to add to Scripture or elevate their teachings to the same plane as Scripture. If God REALLY is saying something, how can those words not be of the same authority as Scripture? These are troubling days and so many folks seem to leave their Bible on the shelf gathering dust so as to instead listen to what their relevation their favorite speaker “just got in.”

• sue Says:

It is called “itching ears” gathering lots of teachers who tell them what they want to hear as opposed to what the bible says on the matter. Remember, difficult times will come and these difficulties are coming from so-called Christians (having a form of godliness but denying it’s power). The bible warns us about these days. Be diligent, know what your bible says for yourself, keep things in context, parallel reference the bible, let scripture interpret scripture. Do not add to or delete from HIS WORDS or you will be found a liar. Don’t believe every spirit, but test the spirit to see if it is from God. Know false professors by their fruit, the fruit of the Spirit. Pay attention to the scripture when it says “don’t be deceived” implying we can be deceived if we are not diligent to follow Gods instructions in His word. Too many Christians relying only (or more so) on books written by fallible man, while neglecting to read the most important book, GODS WORD aka the bible (Old and new testament- ALL of scripture is needful). Stop relying on being spoon fed by others, pick up your spoon and feed yourself, that is how you can spot the fake, know the real! I beseech you brethren, rely on God, ask God, seek His will in His Word, don’t be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind (with God’s word). REMEMBER, we get out of balance in two ways…. all love and no truth OR all truth and no love. BOTH is needful. We speak the truth in love. In Jesus name, Father I ask that you would open the eyes of Your people, give them a greater knowledge and understanding of our Lord Jesus Christ, Keep us from the evil one and give us this day or DAILY bread. You are Creator and Sustainer of all things, You are Almighty God and everything you have made is in Your capable and loving Hands. Open our eyes to Your truth, let us know when we are being deceived and give us the wisdom to repent when we see it. Father, give us more discernment by your Holy Spirit, let Him bring to our remembrance Your truth in each and every situation. Show us the way to respond in every situation, so that we will glorify Your Name. Help us to be light and salt in this dark world. I thank You Father for Your direction in our lives, Your provision, Your help through Your Holy Spirit. Help us to be good stewards of the things You place in our hands. Help us to only put our trust in You alone. We hold to the HOPE of Your coming soon, we look for You Jesus, remembering Your promise to return. Help us to be faithful servants. We overcome by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of our testimony. We ask these things in the precious name of our Lord Jesus Christ. AMEN!

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hi Sue,
        Thanks for stopping by, and apologies for the late “approval” on your comment.

4. cosby Says:

If everyone will read the Bible over and over …The world will know who are false and who are true…i have read the bible over at least 7 times in 2011 either by reading or by audio.
    Faith is by hearing the word.. the people that rely on others that write books and dont find out for themselves , I have to question them if they are realy saved.The Holy Spirit gives you the answer to everything every time. He lets you know if your wrong to.

i found this site by doing research on Beth Moore which the 6 hours of research comfirmed my spirit that she needs prayer and find the true Jesus.

5. Delwyn X. Campbell Says:

I have never heard of Beth Moore. Sorry.

6. Erick Reinstedt Says:

Hi Joe. Just trying to clarify. Are you saying you don’t believe the Holy Spirit speaks to believers at all?

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hey Erick,
      I believe God is all powerful and completely sovereign, so I would say He can absolutely speak to someone if He so chooses. Having said that, I also hold that this is not at all normative. The real problem here with the Book Beth Moore is promoting is that the author claims to have regular conversations with God which she has written down. A book full of God’s direct words and revelations elevates itself to the same plane as the Bible. If God really said all the things claimed in the book, then it IS God’s Word, and must be taken as such. It absolutely amazes me how the idea that God is continuing to write new Bibles has become acceptable to so many people. It is never put in those terms, but that is exactly what is happening. What else could a book of God’s Word be called?

• Alan Says:

Well, I hear from and talk to the Holy Spirit on a daily basis. The bible has instructed me (and all believers) to do this. In fact nothing I do in life as a Christian is based on anything other than the leading of the Holy Spirit. How well do you really know the New Testament scriptures anyway?

From your comment “I believe God is all powerful and completely sovereign, so I would say He can absolutely speak to someone if He so chooses. Having said that, I also hold that this is not at all normative ” I would say you only know the Christian talking point scriptures, and not much that goes deeper in the Christian walk.

I object to you saying that because this woman hears from God, and has written it down that you believe the book has been elevated to level of the Word of God. Without a doubt the book consists of words that He has spoken to the woman and she is sharing, but you are the one elevating it to the level of the Word of God. Can you provide a quote from the book that would clearly prove that Sarah believes she has published the word of God on the level of the bible based on what the Holy Spirit has spoken to her. Just my opinion.

Finally, do you hear the Holy Spirit when he speaks to you? Are you listening for the voice of God from within?

• ChurchSalt Says:

Alan, you “hear” from God the Holy Spirit? Or are you “lead” by the Holy Spirit? There is a huge difference between the two! True Christians are indeed lead by His Spirit, both in their walk and in their prayer & study. But this author claims to have “conversations” with God, meaning back-and-forth dialogue. This is very, very different than the Scriptural teachings of being led by God! When someone says “God spoke, and this is what He said…” how can what follows be any different than Scripture? If the claim is true, the words have to be taken as the infallible Word of God. As soon as someone makes a statement like that, they elevate what follows to be on the same level as the Bible. She has stated (as have you) that she has daily conversations with God. I am confident that is what she meant to say, as she took the time to write it down and then share God’s new teachings with the world (for a small fee, of course) in a book. As for your claim to converse with God, if this isn’t what you actually do than you should begin choosing your words more carefully.
        Alan, in a very short period of time (an hour or so) you have read and commented on multiple articles on this site, and in every one of them you make insulting remarks. In this one I only know “talking points” and don’t have a “deeper walk”. Is this how you approach all Brothers in Christ? I am currently teaching a class on 1st John, and it has a lot to say on showing other Christians not only respect, but love. In fact, it teaches that an absence of love is actually a trouble sign or “red flag” that there is a much bigger problem in your Christianity. I would suggest you read through 1st John (it’s a short read). I don’t know you, nor the validity of your profession, but your shotgun-like blasts of derogatory remarks and insinuations are much more akin to those I receive from the occasional atheist who visits the site than to Christians who challenge a particular view. I know this statement will anger you, and I expect I will receive another blast in return, but I hope that it will make you take pause. Maybe in the future you will consider what someone is saying and approach them respectfully before letting the bullets fly.
        Take care,
        – Joe

• The Master's Slave Says:

The problem with this sort of publishing is it puts her book on the same level of the Book of Mormon. It is an addition to the Bible. It adds to the Bible much like the Apocrypha, and the gnostic gospels do. You can’t add to the Bible, it is complete. Can a believer hear from God? Yes. It happens all the time with me when I feel impressed to go or do something He wants me to do, but I won’t add it to the Bible as Gospel. Beth Moore, just like the Copelands, Osteens and others who claim to have direct communication from God and only they are anointed to hear His divine revelation are walking a fine line. They will be held accountable for those who follow behind them thinking they are divine. They will be held accountable for taking God’s name in vain. In other words, ascribing the work of God to the deceiving work of the devil.

• Alan Says:

Wow. Don’t even know where to start on your comment. Even stranger than ChurchySalt guy’s? The Book of Mormon? You say she puts her book on that level? Christians reject the Book of Mormon. Mormanism is a cult, and not even related to Christianity in any way, shape or form. Wow, just wow.

• ChurchSalt Says:

Mormons claim their book is “another testament of Jesus Christ”, which exactly the claim made by the author of this book, although she used more popular and evangelically accepted terms to do it. The Slave isn’t so far off in his claim as you seem to think…

7. ingrid lindmark Says:

Thank you for enlightening me about Beth Moore. I have not read her work, but i trust
    your judgement.

I have gone in and read and heard some of her teachings, and you are correct.

8. ingrid lindmark Says:

your judgement.

9. bob Says:

Please remove me from your email list, thank you….

• ChurchSalt Says:

The best way to stop receiving emails is to go to the bottom of the email and click the “unsubscribe” option, which will immediately remove you from the email list. I will see if I can do it from here, but if you continue to receive emails, you may want to do it using the “unsubscribe” option.
      Thanks!