Beth Moore… does she teach the Word?

I have felt uncomfortable with the teachings of Beth Moore for a while now, but have struggled verbalizing why.  By God’s providence, there are teachers out there far more eloquent than me, and Chris Rosebrough is one of them.  He recently did an outstanding job in reviewing a Beth Moore teaching and explaining why her teachings are not Biblically accurate, and are in fact dangerous.  Yes, I know this is a bold and serious claim.  But in this particular teaching, Beth is plainly shown to be taking Scriptures out of context in an attempt to try to portray them as saying what she wants them to say in support of her teaching rather than taking the teaching from the text.  She does this so that the lessons that are on her heart will appear to carry the weight of Biblical authority.  This is extremely dangerous, and if you are not paying attention, can sometimes be hard to detect.  Rather than taking the Word in hand, and expounding on what it says, she is taking a thought or lesson she likes, and trying to find Scripture that might sound as though it agrees.  This is backwards and wrong.  It is essentially self-help delivered as being the Word of God!  Another HUGE problem is that other teachings from Beth flow from conversations she has had with God, which essentially elevates what she personally hears to the position of God’s infallible words.  This makes spiritual food that is not good for eating – dangerous stuff!  Before you dismiss this little post as mean, bitter or without merit, please listen to Rosebrough’s analysis (found HERE).  If you aren’t familiar with his breakdowns, give it a chance.  Listen to it all the way through before making any decisions.

Another take on this same teaching of Beth Moore can be found HERE.  It is an in-depth look at the same biblical passages Beth references, but this time using the original Greek and viewing it in context.  And yet another look at how Beth views different religions can be seen HERE.  Very informative stuff.

, , ,

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

43 Comments on “Beth Moore… does she teach the Word?”

1. shelley ruth Says:

isn’t it sad that we can be so good at throwing darts at others who are standing in the frey. Beth Moore is one of the most real and genuine speakers I have ever heard. I have spent many years in full time ministry and have sat under the teaching of many. She is a wonan of The Word….she does not only expound on it with authority and accuracy, but lives it as well. How many others do you know that can be that honest? When are we going to stop pointing the finger and recognize our own frailties and shortfalls?

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hi Shelley,
      I completely agree with you that Beth Moore seems to be an incredibly genuine, kind and intelligent woman. However, calling attention to some of her new practices isn’t throwing darts, it’s defending the faith. When a teacher begins to use their expository skills to analyze and teach out of their private dreams and conversations with God rather than the written Word it’s a BIG problem. Real Big. Huge. It is the duty of every Christian to compare teachings with the Word of God, and to contend for sound doctrine. The fact that Beth Moore is such a gentle and kind person doesn’t exempt her from this. In fact, it just makes the whole situation that much sadder. In no way do I want to throw darts at Beth or harm her in any way, but I sure would like to see her repent and come back to sound doctrine and methods. If I ever start using private revelation rather than God’s Word in my teachings I hope, I pray, that you or someone else will call “foul” and call me back to the written Word. It will be your duty to “point at me”. Please don’t shrug that duty off, even if you think I’m nice, honest and well spoken.
      Thanks for stopping by!

-Joe

2. dmattice Says:

all i can say is that she sure makes a ton of money on all her written material and whe is well dressed, to the “t”. i volunteered once for one of her seminars so i could go for free. wow, tons of materials were purchased that day during the breaks. what is difficult about discerning her material is that as women, we get caught up in the emotional ups we get from listening to her speak, that we easily believe that she is preaching God’s word just because she uses it. it is very difficulte to determine if she is using scripture to back up her thoughts, or if her thoughts are backing up what scripture says. she uses scripture to back up scripture about her topic point, and makes it seem that she is using scripture to interpret scripture. the latest study i did from her was from the book of Isaiah. looking back, i am not sure that Isaiah is an appropriate book to apply in our everyday lives as promises directed towards us. why? because it was prophetic for the coming of Christ as well as judgement for the leaders of israel who did not follow God’s laws. i’m probably missing something here. she revelled in her belief that she was a prophetess during this study, and boasted of how many broken women she had helped over the years because of this study. it was about breaking free from the bondage of strongholds in our lives. now i remember, and as i think back now, it is completely false teaching to believe that we are under the bondage of strongholds. her enjoyment of having this ‘spiritual gift’ should have warned me. a true prophet does not enjoy his mission because it is a curse to be rejected by mankind. beth’s teaching stirred my interest in learning more about the bible, and what i found is that i do not need to purchase teaching materials to dig in deeply, filling the pockets of teachers. instead, a better use of my money would be to help those in need. the more i study God’s word, the more i recognize false teaching. is beth moore a false teacher? she certainly is not a prophet. she’s a motivational speaker. does God need motivational speakers to teach His truths or spread His gospel? she is in the same realm as entertainment for God, like going to a concert, or a motivational semminar. some people want that. i’m sick of it.

3. Clau Says:

Brothers and sisters of Church Salt..READ AND PRAY on this James 4:11-12 (NIV)

11 Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister[a] or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. 12 There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you—who are you to judge your neighbor?

The most important..meditate on his word
    James 1:26-27
    26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

God bless you all.

• Pat Says:

We are The Church and we should warn our fellow members of those who are teaching things contrary to the word of The Lord…you should go to Romans 16:17-18

4. terry Says:

Church Salt, I agree with your assessment of Beth Moore and continue to have difficulty with her bible studies. May God raise up someone who teaches correctly, or stop up itching ears.

5. cosby Says:

through man through JESUS

1 FOCUS: works 1 Focus: the Lord Jesus Christ
    John 14:6
    2 object of faith : performance 2 object of Faith: The Cross of Christ
    Rom. 6:3-5
    3 Power Source: all self 3 power source: The Holy Spirit:
    Rom. 8:1-2
    4 RESULTS : Defeat 4 results: Victory
    Rom. 6:14

6. cosby Says:

I always thought in my spirit that her teaching was not quit true.

Grace is Grace and God gave it to us with the measure of Faith he gives us.

Only Jesus had full measure.

It was done on the CROSS we dont need her books or Creflo’s or any ones ….

ALL WE NEED IS THE SWORD ,THE BIBLE , THE SPIRIT GUIDES YOU NOT MANS BOOKS .
    If you put your faith in anything but the CROSS it is in vain. Phsychology and BIBLE do not go together…..

phsychology never saved anyone or healed anyone. Selfhelp books like hers or Joels or TG jakes are all self help phsychology books of men not GOD.

CHRIST AND HIM CRUCIFIED IS ALL YOU NEED TO LIVE A PERFECT LIFE IN HIM..

7. Barbara Williams Says:

I have not studied a lot of Beth Moore’s teachings, but after reading this article, I do have some serious thoughts. Christians must be cautious as the Word tells us there will be great deception in the last days. However in the story of David and Saul, David could have destroyed Saul, but his heart smote him, when he cut off Saul’s garment because he was anointed, even though he had sinned. We now live under Grace and when Christ ascended He sent the Holy Spirit to comfort, direct and convict us of sin. I would suggest that you begin a prayer vigil for Beth Moore if you feel she in off base biblically and ask the Father by the blood of Jesus Christ and through the power of the Holy Spirit to convict her and show her where she is wrong. It is not up to man to say how God works with every person. Just because one has a revelation and feels it is from God, does not mean that it is equal to the Bible, God’s Holy Word. It just means that we humans cannot put God in a box. Just when we think we have it all figured out, God will perform a miracle or “move a mountain” that causes us to be astonished. It might be helpful to go to the book of Job and see the questions God asked after Job’s “friends” thought they had it all figured out and Job became discouraged. We don’t, nor will we ever be able to figure out the Great Creator and the questions God asks in Chapter 38:are amazing and puts us all in our place. Verses 4-6 “Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof…”. It continues on making us aware that it is the Righteous Judge that man will stand before on the Judgement Day. I know you mean well, but our commission is to “win souls”, not destroy lives. Let God deal with those whom you would question. May God bless you and reveal to all of us individually, the Word which is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hi Barbara,
      I would agree with you completely in regards to praying for Beth Moore. She is a highly visible and influential teacher, and from interviews I have seen, she seems to be a genuinely nice person. I truly do hope and pray her eyes are opened to some of the trends that have been creeping up in her ministry and teachings. However, to stay silent while someone teaches (or in the case promotes) heresy isn’t loving, nor is it granting latitude since God may be doing something different with them than with me. Putting out a book under the heading “thus saith the Lord” is publishing a new Bible, whether they mean it to be or not. To sit by quietly rather than warn people of such things (and those that promote them) is disobedient to Scripture. We are told in Jude that we are to contend for the faith, not to sit in passivity. I have no wish to “destroy” Beth Moore’s life. I simply intend to warn others about the teachings that are coming from her camp (see other Beth Moore posts) and the dangers they contain. The Great Commission is indeed one of our primary marching orders, but it isn’t the only one!
      Thanks!

• Barbara Williams Says:

I am not aware of Beth Moore’s book “Thus Saith The Lord”. If what is in the book is not the Words of Jesus Christ, then I agree that it is not Scriptural. I believe if the Lord speaks a word of wisdom through someone, it must agree with Scriptural or it was not from the Lord. I pray that the Lord blesses your ministry. I appreciate those that stand for Truth, but do become concerned when there are those that speak too quickly without knowing all the facts, and perhaps I did. If so, I am truly sorry for there is much deception in our churches today and all Christians must be readers of the Word, not just take someone’s word for truth when they are just charismatic or passionate speakers or writers. Thank you for your response to me.

• K.Bartley Says:

Have you taken the biblical approach and contacted Beth Moore to sincerely express your concerns and listen as a sister in Christ, allowing her to share her heart? I realize it is not your place to do this if you can not do it in love, so might need to pray for that ability first, but we are instructed to go to the other person first. It is too easy to make assumprions when we do not listen to each other’s hearts. One of the most important things we can do in these days is to make sure the world sees our love for each other–this is how they will know. Let’s be careful we are not fighting against each other, but support and encourage one another as the body should. I’m sure I have taken something out of context unknowingly or not with the intention of doing so, and would hope someone would lovingly talk to me and gently ask questions to help me assess my heart. This is how Jesus deals with us. I don’t mean to judge your concerns. It is good to be aware and to check teachings with scripture, but let’s not blanket it under all of someone’s teaching, especially when they are trying to point people to the powerful word of God. God used this passionate women in my life to grow in me a passion for God and His word.

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hello!
        Thanks for stopping by ChurchSalt! In response to your concerns, please let me offer a few things for your consideration: Beth Moore is a public figure, offering teachings in the public domain for the consumption of other Christians. From what I have seen, in these teachings there is a LOT of really good, solid stuff, and it seems as though a great many people have benefited from her work. That’s great! Just this weekend I talked with a woman who was led into a much more thorough and deeper approach to biblical study by some Beth Moore material. That being said, lately she seems to be speaking on things (in the public domain) that she hasn’t studied very thoroughly. Contemplative prayer and the beliefs of the Roman Catholic church, to be specific.

Contempletive prayer is an ancient practice of mysticism originating from eastern religions and currently practiced by the New Age movement and others of that type. This is a dangerous, and unbiblical practice! Since Beth is promoting this to many, many Christians, the alarm needs to be sounded to those considering the practice. Why? Not out of hate for Beth, but out of love for those who may be led astray into this dangerous practice. A public warning must be sounded against a public false teaching.

Roman Catholics
        do NOT believe the same thing as Christians. This should be made evident by the Protestant Reformation if nothing else. In their beliefs it still stands that anybody who believes that Christ saves a person through faith alone and not from works is accursed to Hell. To endorse Catholics as being Christian is to give them a false sense of security, and possibly lead others into a false religion. Again, she does this publicly, so the warning must be public. And also as before, this is not done out of hate for Beth, but out of love for those who may be led astray into this dangerous religion.

In addition to these things, Beth continues to preach from her dreams and conversations with God (in her talks , not as much in her writings). If someone preaches their dreams as being from God, this then means the dream is to be taken as from God in authority. Do you see the problem here? Beth is telling us to give her dreams and conversations equal footing with Scripture. She is also doing this in the public domain.

Beth Moore is a very popular, big-name teacher. This makes it quite impossible to approach her privately with these concerns. But the truth of the matter is that we as Christians are instructed in Scripture to contend for the faith, refute false doctrine, and preach the true Word. These are all things related to the public refutation of public false teachings and the public heralding of sound doctrine. To me, Beth seems like a really nice, very motivated Christian woman. I wish all Christian women had this fire for God! But she is slowly embracing false doctrines and practices, and as she does she is feeding them to others throughout the Church. I am nervous about what damage she may have already caused (is not even one soul a trajedy?), but I am much more frightened about where she may be going. What is the better course, to stay quiet so as to not offend her, or to sound the alarm and warn others of the danger? Scripture is clear, and warn them we must. It is my hope and prayer that she takes a long, prayerful look at these things, and goes back to digging into Scripture alone like when she started.

Thanks again for stopping by!

-Joe

• Julie Says:

Hi A man to that .our spirit judges so dose are flesh .Let God sort out so we don’t stand in the way of others no man can say he don’t sin if he dose he is a lier .we are a spirit like matted we are here to do a job bring the souls home being accountable for what we do.we have Gods DNA blood breath in US .That’s why man can’t make it .
        Praying much for time is short all preachers are different one is a happy one one. Talks about life one the spirit one. Salvation and many more areas of life , what type of pastors do you have or know

8. Rhonda Kasperek Says:

Becoming involved in a Beth Moore study at the ministry I work for encouraged me to get into the Word. If that’s what it took, I am grateful.

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hi Rhonda, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I am really glad that you are digging into the Word, but I would caution you. To take an “ends justifies the means” approach to any aspect of Christianity or Scriptural study is a very, very dangerous slope to be on! I hope you continue to dig deeper and deeper into the Word as you continue your walk. If you don’t already have one, maybe get a really good commentary (Matthew Henry comes to mind) to have beside you as you study. Thanks for stopping by!

9. Lynne Says:

Hey Churchsalt…I emailed the links tregarding Bethmoore from the site to a sis in Christ I respect & I’m pasting the reply back (but of course omitting who she is). Perhaps you can review her response & share any thoughts. I told her I would praryerfully consider what she shared in respnse & ask that you do so as well.may God bless! Please see below the dotted line her response:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I don’t believe what the article expresses. The audio gives “clips” of Beth Moore. “Don’t Throw Away Your Confidence” is taken out of context by the man who is doing the talking (and who is he?). When James Robison is talking about self confidence, he later talks about “God confidence.” And the guy blasts even that. When you hear only “pieces” of things, it can’t be trusted. Beth Moore uses different translations to teach her lessons – as I recall, many times she uses NIV. But that doesn’t mean she’s twisting Scripture.

Beth Moore is not a “law” teacher. She is actually more grace-oriented. Have you watched or listened to her any of her lessons in their entirety? If you hear the entire lesson, I think you’ll see that she’s not teaching that we should trust in ourselves. In fact, if people would hear her in other lessons over the years, they would see that’s NOT what she’s saying at all.

Also, Beth Moore believes that we are “dead in trespasses and sin.” I don’t understand how, after hearing one statement, he can say that she doesn’t believe that. He’s using one lesson – where he continues to interrupt – to try to point out where she’s wrong. He’s confusing to me. She uses analogies & stories to make points – like most good Bible teachers do.

The man keeps interrupting the whole time. He’s playing “clips” and I can’t ever understand what Beth’s really saying. It sounds confusing. But the whole things is confusing because he keeps interrupting, NOT because the lesson is confusing.

I see on the site the names of questionable preachers. Maybe he’s correct about them. I haven’t looked at the site thoroughly. I’m not all-discerning, but I do have discernment. I’ve heard a lot of false teachers but the Holy Spirit has never told me that Beth Moore is a false teacher. I could be wrong – anybody could be wrong. This information is not convincing to me. “

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hi Lynne,
      Well, I am certainly no Beth Moore expert so I don’t know if I would be the most qualified one to respond to this letter, but I will tell you why I feel uncomfortable with her:

1) She seems to use the “..and I heard God say to me…” line (or something like it) a fair bit when preaching. When she does that in teaching, it elevates her impressions/thought/beliefs/gut instincts to the same level as Scripture. While I am sure she would cringe to hear it put like that, it is the truth. That is one of the most dangerous things a teacher can do.

2) She seems to come dangerously close to contemplative prayer and mysticism in her “be quiet and embrace God” techniques. These are techniques first made popular by roman monks and apostates, not by men of the Christian faith.

3) Speaking of Rome, she doesn’t understand the difference between the Reformers and the teachings of the Roman Catholic church. Since the difference is nothing less then salvation through the work of Christ alone (the Gospel) it makes me highly question her view and understanding of the Gospel.

4) Whenever I have listened to her, Beth Moore seems to do a LOT of talking about Beth Moore. I don’t listen to her much for the same reason I don’t eat popcorn (no nutritional value) but when I do it seems she talks as much about her experiences/feelings as she does about Scripture. I think sermon illustrations are great, but when a person talks about themselves 40%-50% of the time, I get really uncomfortable.

5) She is popular in the SBC. I know I will make people mad with this statement, and I also know it is nothing more than guilt by association, so take it for what it is worth. When a group that fawns after false teachers like Rick Warren and invites Emergent teachers to their annual preacher’s conference also holds Moore up to be a superstar teacher, I automatically have a high level of suspicion. When our Lord gave the wide road narrow road teaching, he was talking to people who claimed to be followers, so a wide road (filled with a lot of very visible potholes) like the SBC makes me nervous.

6) I think Chris Rosebrough’s analysis of her was right on. He takes her quotes and compares them to Scripture and orthodox doctrine. He interrupts a lot because that is how a piece-by-piece analysis works, but if you listen through a couple times, there really isn’t much that can be said in Beth’s defense. Rosebrough often takes sarcasm to an unhealthy extreme, and truly wish he didn’t, but the points he makes are sound.

I tried to go through a few of her videos before responding tonight, but to be honest, she just kept going on and on about herself and her recent life experiences. I got worn down (it’s been a long day) and couldn’t take any more so I stopped. When Rosebrough states she preaches “Law” it is because her sermons always seem to take a motivational tone with a “Buck up little tiger, go out and do…” theme, and there is the problem. Go “do”. Obey more. Motivate more. Esteem yourself more. Rather than falling humble and broken before our Lord and saying “Crush me if you will, I am your slave.” One thing I have learned is that superstars like Beth have a cult following that won’t turn away no matter what is shown to them, and they get ANGRY when anyone touches their superstar. I don’t know if you’re friend is like that or not (I hope not). I sincerely hope you don’t lose a friend during this discussion. If you lost a friend due to loyalties to Christ, then so be it. But if you lose a friend due to her loyalties to Beth Moore, I would say that would be a loss. If you’re friend is soundly saved, I think it is enough that she now has heightened awareness as to what to watch for in Moore’s teachings. I truly believe that the Holy Spirit will open the eyes of those that ask for wisdom and earnestly seek the truth.

• carrie Says:

All of these men who knock Beth Moore are just sounding very jealous of her highly successful ministry. They don’t understand she speaks to women about women’s issues. How can a man understand how a woman feels-Beth Moore does and speaks to those issues.
        Men are peeking in on women’s conversations and picking them apart and trying to rationalize how women feel. She is leading many women to a deeper walk with Jesus Christ and Bible study. Why is it always the men who don’t like her…hum…jealousy.

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hi Carrie,
        Thanks for stopping by ChurchSalt. What I am seeing in your comment is that because Beth Moore is a woman and a good communicator, nobody should be holding her teachings up to the God’s Word to verify her material. I can’t help but wonder what the Bereans would think of that idea! Nowhere in any of the critiques I have read (or wrote) has gender been an issue, and I’m really puzzled as to why you are using it as a platform to defend someone who is engaging in very dangerous hermaneutics when teaching. Beth Moore is dangerous, and getting more so as she goes. If our Lord miraculously turns her into a man but she continues to publish the same material, it will not make one bit of difference. ALL teachings done in God’s name must be verified with His written Word, regardless of race, gender, geography or anything else. Women don’t automatically get a “pass”. Sorry!
        Please go through some of the critiques. They point out some really dangerous stuff in her work, and it sounds like you might be reading and studying a lot of that same stuff. Wouldn’t it be better to verify your spiritual food is pure rather than attack those who are trying to handle the issue biblically? Just a thought.
        Again, thanks for stopping in!

• Josh Says:

I agree with Lynn about Rosebrough’s audio session… It is not very well done. Even if he IS right about Beth Moore, his approach is very fallacious. I listened to him before coming to your site and realized that he does not play long enough sessions in order for us to make a decision.

People do stuff like that on YouTube all the time where they take portions of a movie and construct funny conversations that never happened, but sound legitimate. This is what Rosebrough is doing.

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hi Josh,
        I don’t know if I would compare Rosebrough’s clips to the YouTube spoof stuff. He plays a pretty healthy amount of context in my opinion. I do wish he would tone down the sarcasm a bit, however. Elijah used sarcasm, but not every single time he spoke! Regarding his analysis, I think his points regarding Beth Moore are right on. There is just no good way to justify or defend preaching from private discussions held with God. I truly hope she repents and begins using sound hermaneutics instead of continuing in the questionable methods she is currently using.

10. Christine Says:

I would have to agree with Rebecca’s comments above. I have done at least three or four of her studies, heard her speak in person and learned much from those. She digs deeply into the Word often back to the original Greek or Hebrew. I have not read “So Long Insecurity” so I can’t comment on that particular book. I started to listen to the link to the radio commentary, but I did not appreciate the tone of the man speaking – sarcasm and mocking lead me to believe I really did not want to listen to the rest of what he had to say.

I think to blatantly say she is a “false teacher”, one better be prepared to read a lot of her bible studies themselves and then make their conclusion. I’m not naive enough to say she could never say anything unbiblical or use scripture out of context although I have not encountered that but we are all human. I have a lot of respect from this little dynamo from the South and in my opinion, she has taught many, many women to dig deep when studying the bible.

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hi Christine,
      I agree with you that Rosebrough often takes sarcasm to an extreme, and his tone could definetely be a little more professional. That being said, I would encourage you to press ahead and listen through the program, as his breakdown of Beth’s techniques and teachings is extremely illuminating. You can’t write off Rosebrough’s material without listening to it and in the same breath suggest his critique (or mine) is wrong because we haven’t read enough of her material.
      Myself, the main problem I have is that lately she has been using the “God said to me…” line quite a bit, and then teaching from her direct revelation. This is unbiblical and extremely dangerous! It puts her intuition, dreams, and thoughts on equal footing with God’s written Word.

If you press through Rosebrough’s discussion on this, I would be interested in knowing your thoughts afterwards.
      Thanks for stopping by and visiting the site!

• Terri Gentry Says:

Hello Church Salt:

I have done only 2 of Beth Moore’s Bible studies. I enjoyed both of them a great deal. In the second one I did, she stated that she has never audibly heard God speak to her and she believes the reason he has never done this is because she would want to teach on what he said to her rather than on her bible studies. As far as her “stories”, I believe most teachers use stories of their own or others to show a practical application of the study. I enjoyed the two I have completed and look forward to more in the future. I am not saying I have agreed 100% with the information imparted, but I have definitely been edified by the lessons.

• ChurchSalt Says:

Hi Terri,
        Beth Moore often states she hears from God in the sense that she is impressed upon or had her thoughts led by Him. While I do not doubt our Lord grabs peoples attention at times or impresses things upon them, to preach from these impressions is to make impressions equivalent with the written Word! This is wrong and extremely dangerous. If the lessons learned during prayer and reflection are not found in Scripture, they are of questionable origin. If they are found in Scripture, why not teach out of the Word itself where God’s own words on a matter are revealed? As far as stories go, I have found most true and solid teachers of the Word use personal stories very little, if at all. Preaching about oneself is a far cry from preaching “Christ alone, and Him crucified”. Myself, as soon as a speaker starts to preach on himself, I run the other way!
        Thanks for stopping by!

11. Bebemiqui Says:

CS, I agree with your last statement about her theology creeping further and further south. And I think that’s the concern for me.
    If someone is unable to rightly discern the Word in the public light, should we support that ministry at all? Even if her earlier work is more sound, she may ony realize her error if she becomes less popular.
    Also, there are so many exigetically sound teachers from previous times (and some from our own) that I personally prefer to do the bulk of my reading from the likes of Edwards, Tozer, Spurgeon, Luther, Piper and Packer.
    Blessings :0)

• ChurchSalt.com Says:

I would agree with you except for one name you mentioned. I just honestly don’t know where John Piper is going at this point. He has had some great stuff in the past, but his “Christian Hedonism” proposal made me uncomfortable and his recent partnership with Rick Warren is making me extremely uncomfortable. I really hope that he breaks off future partnerships with Warren and sees the deception that has been pulled over his eyes. My fear is that when Piper hears Warren deliver a Biblically sound message at the Desiring God conference (and he will) that Piper will continue to embrace him as a Brother, when he is in all reality a false teacher using the DG conference to expand his influence into reformed circles.
      One author you didn’t mention is William Gurnall. If you haven’t read his work, you are missing out! I am almost finished with “The Christian in Complete Armor” and I can’t recommend it highly enough. If you like reformed authors, you will love Gurnall. I find it almost impossible to read more than 2 pages without putting the book down and seeking God in prayer regarding what I just read. Fantastic stuff!

Thanks for stopping by!

12. revivalandreformation Says:

if a pastor, teacher or any sort of leader comes to us with a gospel other than that preached to us in the beginning that person whether they be a man or woman is to be accursed (shunned, alienated, excommunicated). Clear enough for someone who blatantly twists the Scriptures, takes verses out of context, and uses other (per)versions to get their point across. Making the Bible say what I want it to say is the greatest slap in the face of Jesus that one could commit, and be rest assured, the one doing the twisting and those lapping it up will be held accountable.

13. julius mickel Says:

Just ‘quickly’ passing through before I sign off,
    Our last church used Beth Moore for their womens sunday school-they used her material for the 4yrs we were there (strictly).
    So being a church that wasn’t well known for it’s love of clear and sound doctrine (though not a heretical church, just immature theologically) I too was very anxious to find more about this lady.

For a quick review from a guy who certainly seeks to be balanced, here is a review of another book she wrote:

blessings

• ChurchSalt.com Says:

After reading that review, I would have to agree with it. It seemed extremely well balanced, and also extremely accurate. I have no doubt Beth Moore is a great person, but her teaching just seems to be slowly creeping further and further away from Scripture and becoming more focused on people, people’s needs and self help. As likeable as she is, I really, really hope someone close to her points out what is going on.

• Lynne Says:

I agree I was suprised to find my original post still here. Looking at it from fresh eyes, or possibly growth in th Lord I prefer & hope…I see ChurchSalt your concerns more clearly & julius link of the book review really assist. Not sure how the sister who’s email reply I posted feels…but yes we are still pm good terms. Thanks always to God 1st & thank you for the time & attention to respond biblically everyone who has.

14. sally apokedak Says:

I listened to the podcast. I stuck with it because you said we should stick with it to the end.

I have never done a Beth Moore study and I know nothing about her. I agree with the podcaster that she yanked those Hebrew verses out of the Bible and applied to something they were never meant to apply to. However, I would never tell anyone to listen the man doing the podcast.

I may comment at his site about why I think he’s handing this wrong. But on your site I just want to urge you to take his link down. Its’ unseemly.

• ChurchSalt.com Says:

I am curious, what part of this clip you find unseemly? I have opted not to post a few other clips by Chris Rosebrough in the past because sometimes I feel as the sarcasm gets a little too thick to be considered helpful, but at the same time there are examples of this being used by God’s prophets in the Scriptures. Could you elaborate (I am not asking you to trash Rosebrough, just a basic idea of what you found to be offensive)??

• ChurchSalt.com Says:

Hi Sally,
        Isn’t technology frustrating! On this site the first post I receive from someone is held for approval. Once apporved, I get notified of follow up comments, but they post immediately. I just removed your last two comments, per your request. It is probably good for the how-it-works information of commenting be posted, so hopefully others will read this reply. I will indeed pray for your exchange with Chris Rosebrough, and that the Lord will shed grace and understanding on all involved. Thank you for stopping by ChurchSalt, I hope to hear from you again down the road.

15. southernbaptistgirl Says:

I am reading So Long, Insecurity right now. I must agree with you…she definitely twists the scriptures in this book.

16. Rebecca LuElla Miller Says:

As you may have figured out from the nearly 300-comment discussion with Mike Morrell and company, I’m not put off by people disagreeing with me. I learn that way. (I haven’t commented, but I’ve been reading).

Let me clarify: I would not call myself a fan of Beth Moore’s. I’ve been in three studies which used her material, and there’s not one that I didn’t disagree with something—an approach, an interpretation, a conclusion. But I also dug into Scripture and found much in her thoughts to be insightful.

I wish I could listen to Rosebrough—maybe someday I’ll be able to upgrade—but I did a little research about the book from which he’s critiquing her use of Scripture. Here’s the opening of the Publisher’s Weekly review:

Prolific Bible teacher and women’s ministry leader Moore (Get Out of That Pit) moves away from her characteristic dead-on expositions of scriptural principles in her newest; the topic is insecurity, and the content, she admits, is close to an autobiography.

From one Amazon review:

So what do we do with all these insecurities? Psalm 29:11 says “The Lord gives his people strength; the Lord grants his people security.” There is nothing secure in this world – we must cling to Jesus for our strength and security. This book is a great reminder of God’s truth on security.

(Does that sound like Joel Olsteen to you, CS?)

And this from an Amazon reviewer who gave the book 2 stars:

I’ve received so much benefit from Beth Moore’s Bible studies, particularly her studies of Esther and David.

But, I didn’t find this book to be helpful. In my opinion, there isn’t enough content here to justify a book….

I was frustrated by the fact that these chapters consisted largely of anecdotes from Beth’s friends and readers of her blog. Beth referred to having done “research” for these chapters, but that research wasn’t evident in her writing. Missing from these chapters was any sort of in-depth analysis of the seven issues.

From these descriptions of the book, (the title is So Long, Insecurity: You’ve Been a Bad Friend to Us ) I’d say this one is not really a Bible study. My point is, to use this book, then, to draw a conclusion about who Beth Moore is and what kind of a teacher she is, would lead someone astray.

Now if she continues in this vein, then perhaps she’s made some kind of a shift.

And I definitely don’t think it’s wrong for someone to point out where they think she’s in error. In fact, I think that’s good. I’m just concerned when one error is painted as reflective of a person’s life and teaching.

BTW, I went to Mike Ratliff’s site and got banned! His doing so, and saying in his latest comment that I have an idolatry problem, is an example of what I’m talking about. That Christians can spend time picking one thing they disagree with other believers about and turn their faith into “false faith” or idolatry is just wrong.

Especially because there is some really, really bad teaching flying under the banner of Christianity. Why are we shooting the friendlies?

Becky

• ChurchSalt.com Says:

I think it is certain we disagree on the severity of Beth Moore’s error, and what the proper reaction to it should be. But to be honest, I am quite disappointed you were banned from Ratliff’s site. Do you have an idolatry problem? Well, if not over Beth Moore then you probably have one over money, or security. And if you don’t, it is to be expected that something or another will be coming along shortly to try to dislodge Christ as your supreme affection. As far as I can tell sin and worry are both idolatry, and they are both constantly make assault on all the saints, and that is a great reason we should all be keeping in contact with each other, admonishing each other, and offering encouragement. Idolatry, in one form or another, is constantly trying to creep into my life, and sometimes it succeeds. I sincerely hope you or another believer will be there to call me on it when that happens. To ban comments from someone you disagree with is not healthy for either party and hinders growth in the Body of Christ. Obviously, I am speaking of other soundly saved Christians, not the hate-filled mocker nor the long winded emergent constantly trying to take the focus off of Christ.

• Rebecca LuElla Miller Says:

The idolatry he’s accusing me of is Beth Moore. He said “I know she is very popular and this blinds people into defending her despite her false teachings.” He insinuated earlier that I wasn’t measuring her teaching with the word of God but only following her because she was popular.

I’ll say again, CS. I think if she wrongly interprets Scripture, someone should call her on it. But the truth is, I believe a lot of Christians wrongly interpret Scripture—every one who believes in infant baptism, for instance. I could list out others, but I won’t because those are not essentials. I don’t know what Beth Moore said about that passage in Hebrews, but I do know she believes God’s grace alone through faith alone is what saves us.

Take a look at what some of the other Amazon reviews said about this book, which she clearly states is different than her other work:

Her passion for studying the Word of God, draws me … She is a disciple of Jesus. She teaches His truth in a wonderful, personal, life-changing way.

Another:

The truth on which this book is founded I wholeheartedly agree with. That truth being how so many believers know nothing of their identity in Christ and therefore seek to find that identity in other places. One of the entrapment’s to living fully in our Christ-given identity is insecurity. We spend a lot of time feeding into it and staying bound by it. When what we really need to do is get set free! Beth does a great job pointing you back to your identity in Christ.

And this:

I find myself driving down the highway thinking she is describing me. Her deep faith in God and her strong belief that He can lead us to wholeness.

And here’s what I think is the red flag:

My one complaint about this book is that she does not use as much scripture as I have grown accustomed to expecting from her. When I open a Beth Moore book I expect to dive into scripture, be guided through, and to be changed on the other side. I gleaned a lot from this book but I missed Beth’s typical use of scripture.

But I’ll reiterate my point—the one I was trying to make at Mike’s site—the body of Beth Moore’s work shows a teacher who believes in the infallible, inspired, authoritative Word of God. She wants others to see Scripture as the answer for contemporary problems. She loves God, loves His Word. To label her with false teachers who believe in universalism or who deconstruct the Bible or who deny God’s sovereignty is misguided at best.

Stand up and denounce this book or that twisted use of the Hebrews passage, but to call her faith false and she herself dangerous?

I say again, why are we shooting the friendlies?

Becky

17. Rebecca LuElla Miller Says:

I have to disagree on this one. I can’t listen to Rosebrough (dial up), but if you are accurately portraying his position, he’s wrong. I’ve attended three of the Bible studies using Beth Moore’s material, and I will say, she is not trying to make Scripture say what she wants it to say.

I don’t always agree with her, but I don’t always agree with Spurgeon either! :-o My point is, she’s human (and so am I) so she’s not going to be perfect. But her teaching (it’s not preaching) is far more accurate and Biblical than what Rosebrough is saying.

I have a godly friend ten years my senior who is more schooled in Scripture than I, and just recently, without my prompting, she said how she has grown to appreciate Beth Moore’s insights. I think she’s on her third study as well.

Sorry to be so contrary on this one. So many of your posts point us in the right direction. I just can’t agree here and would suggest anyone uncertain should check out her work for themselves. It will stand up under scrutiny.

Becky

• ChurchSalt.com Says:

Hi Becky,
      I hadn’t seen any comments from you in a while and was wondering where you had gotten to! I just finished reading all the comments over at PossessingtheTreasure. This post is certainly stirring up the pot a little over there! I know you are a Beth Moore fan, but after having conversation with you in the past and reading many of your own posts, I am fairly confident of this: Once you hear this teaching for yourself, you will be shocked. Her material had bothered me before, but I couldn’t put my finger on why. This newer teaching of hers is terrible. Not in a “I don’t agree with her conclusions” kind of way, but in a “How can she even pretend this teaching is Biblical?” kind of way. I hope you can listen to Rosebrough’s critique somewhere in the near future. We can all mess up and be a little too judgemental (this is something I need to watch in my own life), but in this case Rosebrough is dead right. He is right to call her on it as well. She indulges in self-help Scripture twisting that would make Olsteen proud in the featured teaching. I hope I don’t offend you and cause you to browse elsewhere as I always enjoy your commentary. I also hope that maybe wandering this far astray will cause someone with a voice in Beth Moore’s life to speak up and call her to repentance. If possible, check out the Rosebrough clip and let me know what you think.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks